During ReaderCon 23 I participated in a gathering called “Meet the Prose.” It’s an interesting party game where each of the professionals carry around labels with quotes from their works. Attendees are given sheets of wax paper and encourage to collect quotes. I decided I’d like to share the ones I managed to gather. See if you can guess the sources.
– We wind down our steel tracks like clock puppets telling time.
– If you love books enough, books will love you back
– It’s a story that I like to tell from the bottom of a little plastic cup
– I suspect this is all going to end in screaming and drowning.
– Junk gets precious when junk is all you got left.
– The sparrow that shot up into the blue sky one morning might transform mid-flight into an osprey the next; this was the way of things here and there were no reasons so mighty that they could override the desire to be in accord with the tides and the passage of seasons and the rhythms underlying everything around me.
– Only, the daughter emerges wrong, resembling neither father nor mother but uncle – a nappy-headed, wide-eyed crooked dart of fate.
– “In London, used souls were sold a penny a pound on ‘Change.'”
– I know what a man looks like in a dress.
– I was a PI; I washed my face with battery acid and picked my teeth with ten penny nails.
– From the waist down, she had me at hello, which she didn’t say, because she had no mouth.
– There is nothing like a dome
– The corpses fell from the interior of the moon like drops of water from an icicle.
– If this were the twenty-first century, you could see her from space.
– For that matter, the entire surface of the planet could, in theory, be made to present a false geological record…
– The difference between 0.1% and 1.0% is the difference between vinaigrette and serviceable vinegar.
– It’s only in the dark that you can see the stars.
– That’s when the microwave burst into flinders, with an explosion that flattened two of us and even made Dr. Caine kind of lean a bit.
– Though I’d been a werewolf less than a year, I was already making waves in the Lupine-American community.
– Mater luporum, mater moeniorum, stella montana, ora pro noblis
– I would say they should film this and show it every Christmas, but I think I saw that hentai once.
– It’s Good master Hunt hammers Latin through our tongues and it were a gross of nails – and force us to write our own dog-end verse and translate it two ways, from vulgate to vulgar and back again.
– I don’t use sex as a weapon – I use weapons as weapons.
– The circle of life on Ceres was so small, you could see the curve.
– “A most bold and impetuous hot-house marrow.”
– And strode on, boots clopping through the rain, with his spurs trailing a-scratch on the cobbles like a dead man’s fingernails.
– He said, “I’ll be wanting to handle the postmortem myself.”
Leave a comment
No comments yet.